Prep Time: 2 hours 20 minutes | Cooking Time: 20 minutes |
½ cup tahini
¼ cup finely
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup cold water,
1 cup dried
¼ cup chopped
¼ cup chopped
1 large onion,
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon chili
4 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon sea
dissolved in 1
2 cups peanut oil
1 medium bell
1 medium tomato,
Make the Tahini Sauce
1. Combine the for the tahini sauce in a small bowl. Stir to mix well until smooth.
2. Wrap the bowl in plastic and refrigerate until ready to serve. Make the Falafel
3. Put the chickpeas, parsley, cilantro, onion, cumin, chili flakes, garlic, and salt in a food processor. Pulse to mix well but not puréed.
4. Add the flour and baking soda to the food processor, then pulse to form a smooth and tight dough.
5. Put the dough in a large bowl and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to let it rise.
6. Divide and shape the dough into walnut-sized small balls.
7. Pour the peanut oil in a large pot and heat over high heat until the temperature of the oil reaches 375ºF (190ºC).
8. Drop 6 balls into the oil each time, and fry for 5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Turn the balls with a strainer to make them fried evenly.
9. Transfer the balls on paper towels with the strainer, then drain the oil from the balls.
10. Roast the pita breads in the oven for 5 minutes or until golden brown, if needed, then stuff the pitas with falafel balls and top with bell peppers and tomatoes. Drizzle with tahini sauce and serve immediately.
Per Serving calories: 574 | fat: 27.1g | protein: 19.8g | carbs: 69.7g | fiber: 13.4g | sodium: 1246mg